The Adventures of Dork Mommy

Thursday, May 25, 2006

My Life is Brilliant

It appears that there is some kind of quota out there regarding the number of times James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" must play on the radio in any given hour. Like, 3 times per station. Normally, I wouldn't be listening to these kinds of stations, but in an amazing display of laziness, I have not replaced the antenna that broke off of my car two years ago, so I am forced to listen to the three popular music stations that come in on my radio.

I've heard that the song is about an ex-love of his or something, but I don't think that's true. The first time I heard it, I recalled a really nice memory of mine, and I'm sure they are somehow related.

I was in college in Boston at the time - maybe 19 or 20 years old. I was waiting at the Boylston Street T-stop for the subway train. One pulled in, but it was for the wrong line, so I had to wait. I leaned back against a bright green column to the side of the train. Looking up through the window of the car, I noticed a man looking at me. Pretending to ignore him, I got out my lipstick and my compact from my purse, deliberately. I reapplied my near-perfect lipstick while he watched. As the train pulled away, I looked right at him. He broke into a big smile, admonishing me with his eyes. He probably even shook his head. I, too, couldn't help smiling, caught at my trampy little trick.

And then he was gone.

That is an awesome memory. I think that's what that song means. A random, wonderful connection with a stranger. I wonder if he remembers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home